The Young Queer Alliance is implementing the Project “Empowering LGBTQIA+ youth through rights awareness, social support and HIV screening at the Young Queer Alliance for their physical and mental well-being and to reduce HIV incidence”, which is funded by the National Social Inclusion Foundation.
The YQA is inviting applications from suitably qualified candidates who wish to be considered as Community Empowerment Officer on a full-time basis for the organisation starting February 2024.
A. Candidates should possess a diploma in Social Work, Counselling, Psychology, Sociology, Health Care or equivalent/any other qualification acceptable to the organisation.
B. Candidates should also:
- possess good communication and interpersonal skills;
- be fluent in English and French;
- be computer literate including good use of MS Office suite (Word, Excel and PowerPoint); and
- have a strong interest in LGBTQIA+ issues, gender, human rights, HIV and AIDS and social justice.
The onus for the submission of equivalence of qualification (wherever applicable) from the relevant authorities rests on the candidates.
The incumbent will, inter-alia, be required to contribute to the organisation by:
- Plan, coordinate, manage and implement support packages to help LGBTQIA+ beneficiaries deal with difficulties and overcome dependencies.
- Interview service users and assess their current condition, needs, strengths and weaknesses.
Address each case as a unit and set tailored measurable goals.
- Monitor and evaluate beneficiaries’ progress and modify intervention plans accordingly.
- Offer information and counseling on the best course of action during sessions.
- Provide individual and/or group counselling as and when required.
- Organise safe spaces for LGBTQIA+ beneficiaries.
- Maintain accurate records and report on beneficiaries’ status.
- Act as a key-worker and cooperate with multidisciplinary teams.
- Refer and accompany beneficiaries to community services to help them in recover.
- Creating digital content and maintaining community linkages through social media.
The Community Empowerment Officer shall receive a basic salary of MUR 20,000 per month and will additionally be entitled to transport and phone allowance in the performance of their duties.
MODE OF APPLICATION
Interested candidates should submit their written application containing personal details together with copies of educational certificates and evidence of experience, not later than 21 January 2024, by email to the Young Queer Alliance at email@example.com. Candidates should mention the post for which they are applying.
NOTE: The Young Queer Alliance reserves the right NOT to make any appointment following the advertisement. For additional information, please contact us on (+230) 5802 8357.
The YQA is an equal opportunities employer and does not discriminate on the basis of one’s age, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, physical condition, religious or cultural beliefs, ethnicity, marital status, etc.
06 January 2024